I have an ENORMOUS list of things I want on my iPad (that’s right, I could have easily said “I have an ENORMOUS list of things I want on my notepad, but then you wouldn’t know that I have an iPad). They can range from specifics like a Knuckleduster iPhone case , to more ambiguous items such as, well, the newest iPhone. One thing on my list of more simple items to own is a pair of studded Converse. My initial world-wide-web inquisition started with What Goes Around Comes Around, until Jar’Edo Wens (fascinating legend, do look him up) turned my perfectly chiseled cheekbones towards DIY sites, inspiring me to create my own. Oh, that and also the asking price of $295.00. I started buying the basics; I purchased (3) sets of 1/2″ pyramid studs (100 count each) from eBay and a pair of Converse high-top Chuck Taylor’s. I ordered from Nordstrom because they offer free shipping, and hey, it’s Nordstrom! Remember to order a size or half a size down when purchasing Converse as they run large pour les dames.  I wear a size eight in boots, and decided on the size seven with these sneakers, because I knew I wanted to take wearing socks in account. Below are the tools I chose before starting my project.

List of tools from left to right:
pyramid studs, pliers, sharp knife (I really don’t recommend this – use an exacto knife and not something you use to cut up your chicken with like I did), nail file

I started placing the studs from the back to the front, starting at the bottom. I made indents with the studs, and with the knife, made tiny holes so the stud prongs could go through easily.

This is about three days of work…

By the time I had put in my fifth stud, I was cursing myself for even attempting this project. It took me about two weeks to properly finish, because I was constantly taking out a placed stud after finding it to be crooked or too far or too close to the previous one (hence, the nail file, which was used to loosen the set prong inside the shoe).

Prongs inside the shoe. These studs have (2) prongs only.

My fingers were peeling skin when I finished, due to using the nail file and also due to using the pliers to push the prongs in so that I wouldn’t feel them when wearing the shoes. I wish I could say it was worth it, the whole “no pain, no gain” schpeal, but this project was a pain in the a**. Just buy the damn shoes online.

Side one

Side two

Advertisements